|cranberry apple muffins|
I love muffins and these are my absolute favorite! They are both tart, and sweet, and moist and delicious! They are based on a recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Once Upon a Tart by Frank Mentesana and Jerome Audreau, who own Once Upon a Tart cafe in New York.
I have never been to the bakeshop and cafe, although I frequently make visits to NY and I cannot even remember where I heard about the book. In any case the book is filled with not only muffin recipes, but tarts both sweet and savory, soups, sandwiches, and cookies to name just of few of the delectable recipes in this wonderfully written book. I have had mine for at least 6 years now and have made many of the recipes but this is the one that I always come back to!
The recipe make 12 regular size muffins or 6 huge ones.
2 cups of flour
3/4 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup of vegetable oil (I have used olive oil too for a nutty taste)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large granny Smith apple cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup fresh cranberries
1. Place rack in center of oven. Heat for 10 minutes to 400. If you are going to make 12 muffins lower temperature to 375 and watch so they do not burn.
2. Spray pans with Pam or smear with butter.
5. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet, stir gently with a wooden spoon until just a little flour shows. Then gentle stir in apples and cranberries.
6. Place into baking cups. Bake for 40 minutes for 6 large muffins, about 25 for 12 smaller ones.
7. Remove and let cool for a few minutes then turn out onto rack. Eat warm or cooled.
|Three bowls of ingredients|
|Gently fold in fruit|
|The finished muffins! Dig in!!!|