Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great weekend. We had rain, rain and more rain. I think it has now rained for 10 days, which is a little disconcerting because I have I 4×6 foot hole in the ceiling of the keeping room. Luckily it has not been a windy, driving rain because so far we have not gotten any water in the house, of course one does get tired of looking at a blue tarp and a bucket.
I am a Nester at heart and there is nothing I like better than a day at home baking, reading, napping, etc. So yesterday I did all of the above, I slept in, read in bed with a cup of hot chocolate, and baked and cooked. I will share some of the cooking later, today it is all about butternut squash.
Although I normally do not eat butternut squash, if you add a little sugar I can be persuaded.
Butternut squash cake:
1 cup of all purpose flour
11/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup peeled and shredded butternut squash
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup better melted
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan, set to the side.
2. Combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
3. Combine the squash, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until combines. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture. Beat until well mixed.
4. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 23-27 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and dust with powdered sugar.
* Substitute 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger. 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp ground cloves.
This cake is excellent, it is moist, spicy, and easy!The only part that is a pain is peeling the butternut squash and grating it. For this recipe I wanted more of a spice flavor so I opted for the individual spices instead of the pumpkin pie spice.
|all photos Pine cones and acorns|