I have always loved books and reading, and never more so than in the summer when I did not have to go to school and I could stay up late reading. Each Summer my sisters and I would spend hours and hours at the library. At the beginning of each summer we joined the Summer Book Club where if you read 5, 10, 15 or 20 books by the end of the summer you could win little prizes. Although that was a great bonus it was not really our incentive, our incentive was adventure. As an adult I still read for the same reasons, to experience the world, to learn about different cultures, to take adventures and to “meet” new characters.
One of my favorite things to read are cookbooks and books about food. As I was looking for information about the Cooks Library bookstore in Los Angeles I came across this wonderful list from the James Beard Foundation. This is a list of 14 books, one for each of the fourteen weeks between Memorial Day and Labour Day. I thought you might find it interesting. and find a few that you may want to add to your own summer reading list. A few I have already read and enjoyed and the rest I am in search of to read this summer.
14 Culinary Adventures for summer by the Jame Beard Foundation 2012.
2.Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris by A.J. Liebling (North Point Press)
3.Blood, Bones & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton (Random House)
4. Day of Honey: A Memoir of Food, Love and War by Annia Ciezadlo (Free Press)
5. The Debt to Pleasureby John Lanchester (Picador)
6. An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace by Tamar Adler (Scribner)
7.The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Foodby Jennifer Lee(Twelve)
9. Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen by Laurie Colwin(Vintage)
10. The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten (Vintage)
11. Oranges by John McPhee (Farrar, Straus & Giroux)
12. The Oysters of Locmariaquer by Eleanor Clark (Ecco Press)
13. Simple Cooking by John Thorne (North Point Press)
14. The Tummy Trilogy by Calvin Trillin (Farrar, Straus, & Giroux)
I hope that you find something here to enjoy. All of the links above go to Amazon, Barnes and Nobel or directly to the authors web page. I have already tracked down the ones that appeal the most to me and will be enjoying them within the week.
Enjoy your week!