I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!
It’s funny because I am not really an ice cream fan, except in summer, and then only a few flavors, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, and mint chip; and it has to be homemade, because I love to eat it when it is almost a soft serve right out of the container.
I know it is easier to go to the store, but you are missing out on the fun and frankly it is too easy not to make it yourself. I used a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker that I have had for years, I purchased it at Bed Bath&Beyond but you can find them at Costco( for $32.00), and Amazon too.
I decided for my first batch of ice cream this summer to make mint, and I “kicked it up a notch” by using Andes Creme de Menthe Thins but you can certainly use whatever you like.
Andes Creme de Menthe ThinsIce Cream
Recipe adapted from
Lou Seibert Pappas Ice Creams & Sorbets
2 cups half and half or whole milk
*4 lg egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
*2 tsp. Peppermint extract
*3 ounces of Andes Candies or bittersweet chocolate chopped (2/3 cup)
1 day ahead, place ice cream maker bowl into freezer
Prepare a bowl of ice water, set aside.
* In the top of a double boiler, or a bowl placed over a pan of simmering water, heat the half and half until just steaming
* In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks, then add the sugar and mix.
* Add 1/2 of the half and half to the egg yolk, sugar mixture, mix. Add to the steaming half and half.
* Stir and cook over simmering water for about 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
* Immediately place bowl into ice bath, stir occasionally until mixture is at room temperature.
* Transfer to a Tupperware container, add cream and extract, refrigerate about 3 hours.
* place mixture into ice cream maker bowl, turn on machine and let the magic begin!
In the case of my Cuisinart, about 20 minutes. Add chocolate pieces and blend an extra 20 seconds. You can eat it right away, as a soft serve, or place into Tupperware container and freeze for a few hours.
This ice cream is delicious! I could have eaten the entire quart straight from the machine. It is creamy, rich, and has a slight hint of mint, with a crunch from the Andes Candies. A tasty treat for a sweltering day!
I hope you try it! If you do not want a recipe that has eggs in it there are many that you just mix everything in a bowl and churn, it still taste fabulous.
Enjoy your Monday! Have a great week!
Stay cool, hopefully we will see some relief today! We are sweltering. and the plants are wilting. Stay hydrated and check on your elderly neighbors and relatives.
I know this goes without saying, but I will anyway. Please do not leave your children or dogs in the car! Tell anyone that you see doing it, how dangerous it is. Already this summer 3 kids and a few dogs died because people thought it was OK to leave their kids in a car that reached temperature of 134! Honestly, it boggles the mind and it is heartbreaking.
Stone Gable On the Menu Monday
2805 Popurri Friday
French Country Living