Good morning! I hope that you had a wonderful weekend! Mine was fabulous. The weather was beautiful with sunny skies, light breezes and many opportunities for long walks with my pup(s) and husband.
Of course a weekend would not be complete without a little baking. As we are getting ready for Easter this coming Sunday I thought a light, fresh Strawberry and Cream Filled Butter Cake would be perfect to celebrate and I was right.
Recipe from: Midwest Living
3 cups sifted cake flour, or 21/2 cups unsifted all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
11/3 cups of half-and-half
8 egg whites
1 cup sugar
Whipped Cream Filling
2 cups of heavy whipping cream
2-4 tablespoons confectioners sugar
1 quart Strawberries, cleaned and sliced. Leave some whole for garnish
1. Grease and lightly flour your pans. This recipe makes 3 8×1-1/2 round pans.
2. In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Ass 1 cup of sugar and the vanilla, beat until fluffy. Add the flour mixture alternately with the half-and-half to the creamed mixture, beating on low to medium speed after each addition, until just combined.
4. Clean the beaters. In another large bowl beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form(tips curl). Gradually add 1 cup of sugar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into creamed mixture, 1/4 at a time. Do not mix, fold.
5. Divide mixture into pans. Bake at 350 about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire rack for about 10 minutes. Remove layers from pan and cool completely.
6. Whip the heavy cream until thick and then add the confectioners sugar to taste.
7. Clean and slice berries, set aside.
Assemble cake: Place one layer of cake on serving dish, layer with cream and berries, place second layer of cake and repeat, then place the third layer on top and garnish. I recommend placing in refrigerator until about 15 minutes before serving.
NOTES: I used 1/2 the batter for cupcakes and then the other half I made into think 9 x 13″ cake which I sliced into three and assembled into this cake.
This cake is scrumptious! It is light, fluffy and delicious. It is also the perfect accompaniment to any sort of berries and cream or just a delicious butter cream frosting!
I hope you try this recipe and if you do, let me know. I would love to know what you think!
Have a great week!