I have heard the saying at least a million times, “never talk about money, religion or politics” and for the most part I agree and have adhered to that rule for almost 50 years. Especially in my family as my immediate family is not of the same political persuasion that most of the rest of my aunts, uncles and cousins are. There are some who are very passionate and try to persuade you to their side but we basically all agree to disagree. So for this post, let me say, I am just venting, let us agree ahead of time that we might disagree and if you are going to say nasty negative things about me or my view I would appreciate if you did it in a nice way. I am not taking sides or trying to persuade you to my way of thinking.
This election is like nails on a chalk board to me. I am counting the days until it is over because I cannot stand it any more. It is the dirtiest, most disgusting election I have ever seen and frankly I still cannot discern what each person stands for and what policies they are going to make to change the taxes, jobs, immigration, rights of women etc. The real issues are lost in the mud slinging.
Ironically, I have a BS in Political Science, and an MA in International Relations. I worked with Senators and Congressmen and this was my passion for many years, yet I am over this election.
Here are a few of my complaints in no particular order:
- I cannot believe the incredible amounts of money that are being spent on this election over the last 18 months. Do you know the difference that money could make to people?
- I heard, and I am not sure if this is correct that in the UK they only campaign for 30 days! Can you imagine? If this is not correct please do feel free to pipe in and correct me.
- I do not think that if you have another job, such as Governor, Senator, whatever that you should be able to campaign for a year to 18 months and “do your job” at the same time. Lets face it, if you have another job you are not really doing it to the best of your ability if you are on the campaign trail for 18 months. If you work in the private sector and they want to pay you that is fine but if you collecting tax dollars than no way.
- On another note, I personally think the system is broken, I do not think that you should be able to continue to be reelected for 40 plus years to the House and the Senate. I think we need term limits on those offices.
- I think that both parties are out of touch with what “real” people want or need and I am saddened by what this election has done to people. I do not think that you should beat people up, or vandalize their homes or property because you do not like the person they are voting for.
Thanks for letting me vent. If you have an opinion or comment please share. If you live outside of the US please share your views on the US election and what you or people from your country think of what is going on here. And please share what the process is like in your country, I am sure that we would all be interested in learning something new.
Have a great day!