Good morning. Friday is the official first day of summer and although I have been “celebrating” since Memorial day I thought I would write a bucket list of things that I plan on doing this summer; not necessarily a wish list of adventures but a list of simple, little things that will help me to slow down and enjoy summer.
20 Little Things to Do This Summer
1. STOP and smell the roses, pick a dandelion, blow it and make a wish, snip a few hydrangeas to put in a vase so that you can enjoy them all week.
2. Take a long walk on the beach, enjoy the sand between your toes, the waves lapping at your feet.
3. Go the the library, just as you did as a kid and join the summer reading program, believe it or not they have one for adults too. Savor the additional daylight hours and spend time reading and not watching TV.
4. Make a meal from the farmers market or your own garden. Use the tomatoes and basil from your garden and make a caprese salad or pick some lettuce from your garden and make a garden salad with zucchini, tomatoes, peppers and whatever else you have growing
6. Take a staycation in your town. Look up the 10 best things to see in your town and take a day to do and see a few of them.
7. Although we love the sun in the summer there are going to be a few rainy days. If your rainy day falls on a weekend don’t be sad, spend the day at the spa. A spa day in your own home is perfect, do a facial, give yourself a pedicure or a manicure, just enjoy the excuse to pamper yourself.
8. Get up with the birds and enjoy a cup of coffee, a walk or just sit and enjoy the peace and quite.
9. Bake some of your favorite family recipes. Yes, I know you don’t want to use the oven on hot days but how else do you make strawberry shortcake or rhubarb crunch?
|Raspberry Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches|
10. Make some ice cream. When I was little my grandparents had one of those ice cream makers that you needed rock salt and ice and we would spend what felt like hours cranking the handle. Today there are tons and tons of recipes that are no-churn and they are delicious. You simply make the ice cream base, pour into a lined loaf pan and freeze. Then scoop into a bowl, or a cone, top with nuts, sprinkles or my favorite fudge topping and enjoy. You could also use your favorite brownies or cookies and make ice cream sandwiches
11. Have a camp out. If you are not up for the bugs or being outside, simply camp in the house. Pull out your sleeping bags, or blankets throw the couch cushions on the floor and set up camp.
12. Make some homemade lemonade or sweet tea, sit back and relax.
13. Send some snail mail. Get some post cards from your town and send them to family and friends.
14. Watch the sunset or the sunrise.
15. Spend time with the fur kids in your life.
16. Sleep in on the weekend, read a book or make breakfast and eat it in bed.
17. Watch an outdoor movie.
18. Pretend you are a kid again, go to the county fair or amusement park.
19. Go to the farmers market, local berry patch or orchard and pick summer fruits and produce.
20. Enjoy the time you have with your family and friends.
I hope that you enjoy beautiful weather, lots of time with family and friends and many, many little moments.
Have a happy summer.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.