This post contains affiliate links.
Good morning! Every year on September 21 World Gratitude Day takes place, created by the United Nations Meditation Group to remind us to be grateful, to remember that feeling and to share it with the world.
10 Ways to Celebrate World Gratitude Day.
1. Be kind to everyone you meet. Smile, say hello, be polite, hold the door for someone, offer to return their grocery cart. Make a point of doing this everyday, you will make them feel better and you will feel better too!
2. Send thank you cards to the people in your life that you are grateful for, send a card to your parents, best friend, your siblings, a co-worker or anyone else that you want to know that you are grateful for their presence in your life. Snail mail is so rare these days it will make them feel extra special. There is still time to write your cards and get them in the mail.
3. Give the gift of your time and talents. Volunteer at an animal shelter, walk the dogs or play with them. Tutor kids who need help after school. Read and visit with the people at your local nursing home.
4. Say thank you. I was taught to say thank you and please at an early age but sometimes I feel as if it is a courtesy of the past. Thank your yoga teacher for a great class, thank the checkout person and the bagger at the grocery store, say thank you to your barista for making you the perfect latte.
5. Take a minute and be thankful for your family. Though they may drive you crazy some days I am sure they you give you a lot of love and joy. Why not let them know it? Share a memory of happy times, or thank them for the support and love they have given you.
6. Spread joy, give someone a compliment I promise you will make their day. Four years ago I was having a terrible day, and I was wandering aimlessly around a store. Every time I looked up I saw a little old man staring at me. Eventually he came over and tapped me on the shoulder, my first thought was that he wanted some help and to be honest I was feeling a little grumpy, but instead of snapping at him I looked up with a smile. Instead of asking for help he asked if he could tell me something. I said yes and he said “I just wanted you to know that you are beautiful and have lovely eyes.” I know I looked a wreck that day as I had been crying and had just come from the gym but I will tell you that after I thanked him I feel lighter, happier and I felt beautiful. I still think of that little man all these years later.
7. Appreciate the world around you. Get out take a walk, take in your neighborhood, your town or go somewhere new and appreciate all that you have around you. If you live near the ocean or a lake sit and enjoy the waves lapping at your feet, if you live in the mountains enjoy the peace and quiet or the sounds of the animals.
8. Spend some time in your favorite place with your favorite place and feel the blessings of both.
9. Practice self care, take care of yourself as well as you do everyone around you. Exercise, eat better, read, learn something new, appreciate your one body for everything it has done for you!
10. The best way to celebrate World Gratitude Day is to make sure that you don’t wait another 364 days to do it again. Get yourself a journal, a notebook or use the note section of your phone and take 5 minutes every single day to write something that you are grateful for.
If you would like to know more about World Meditation Day you can read about it here.
Have a great day!