Happy Birthday to me, happy birthday to me.
Today is my 53rd birthday, some would say “that’s old” but the funny thing is I don’t feel old. In my mind I am still 28. I have a few more wrinkles and gray hairs but otherwise I feel pretty good, although not when a having hot flash or night sweats. I can’t wait until those are over.
They say with age comes wisdom, so today I thought I would share 53 things I have learned in 53 years. These nuggets are not in any particular order, and many I am sure that you have heard before.
53 Lessons in 53 years
1. Getting old is out of your control as is most everything else.
2. Aging is aprivilege.
3. The simple little things become the big things.
4. Be thankful for at least one thing everyday.
5. Never say never.
6. Even though I might think I’m right, it doesn’t mean I always am.
7. Take the time to do things with families and friends – the memories will fill your heart for years.
8. Experiences are better gifts than things.
9. Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death. ~Unknown
10. Everything you want is on the other side of fear. ~Jack Canfield.
11. Do what is hard. In the long run it makes life easier.
12. Manners count, say please and thank you.
13. A handwritten letter or a card is always a treat to receive, especially on days that aren’t holidays or birthdays. Send a few and hopefully you will get some in return.
14. Don’t waste your time with people who treat you badly.
15. Time waits for no one.
16. Treat everyone the way I want them to treat my mother.
17. Treat yourself well; take care of you, and once in a while, splurge because you deserve it.
18. Self care is more than getting a massage, it is taking care of your physical, mental and emotional health.
19. Use it or loose it.
20. Yoga works your body and mind.
21. Be truthful or be quiet. Lies are hard to keep track of.
22. People do not change as they get older; they just become more of what they already were.
23. Fear is a liar.
24. You are not responsible for anyone else’s behavior.
25. You control your mind, it does not control you.
26. Pick your battles.
27. Always be kind.
28. Love doesn’t conquer all and time doesn’t heal all wounds.
29. I’ll never get to read all the books I want to read.
30. Anything posted on the internet is up for public consumption.
31. Own your mistakes.
32. It is never a waste of time to stop and listen. You never know what you may learn.
33. There is nothing wrong with admitting you don’t know something.
34. Never stop learning.
35. Never underestimate the power of trying something new.
36. Always smile when you answer the phone.
37. You are never too old to make a new goal or dream a new dream.
38. Don’t compare yourself, or your journey to others.
39. Don’t be judgmental, you don’t always know the whole story.
40. People don’t really want your advice, they just want you to listen.
41. You don’t need a lot of friends, just one or two who are there for you through thick and thin.
42. Call your mom and dad.
43. There are not many things in this life you can control.
44. Every relationship in your life takes work.
45. Time doesn’t heal everything.
46. Believe in miracles, they are all round us.
47. If you don’t ask the answer is always no.
48. Say yes, more than you say no. As an introvert this is a huge challenge for me.
49. Simplify your life.
50. Stop worrying.
51. You have amazing talents, share them with the world.
52. Set your priorities and keep them straight.
53. Count your blessings EVERY DAY.
And a bonus: Always eat the cake!
Have a great day!
Taste of France says
Happy Birthday! Great list 🙂
Bravo Birthday Girl….sending you wishes for a grand celebration….just a baby…
Yes! Always eat the cake. Wishing you the happiest, happiest birthday, my sweet friend! Hope it's your best year yet! xoxo
Brenda Pruitt says
Happy Birthday, dear Elizabeth! You are still young. I love your 53 lessons. You have learned to be very wise in 53 years.
Sarah Gouin says
Wishing you a happy birthday! Fantastic list with lots of real gems.
Many happy returns! Cheers from Carole's Chatter
Happy, happy birthday Elizabeth – and here's to many more! You are still very young (compared to me!) so yes, enjoy them all and keep sharing your positive thoughts with us.
Enjoy your cake. . . . . .and perhaps a glass of bubbly!!!!
Hugs – Mary
William Kendall says