This post contains affiliate links.
While not exactly the “vision of sugarplums” we’ve always read about these sugared or candied cranberries are the perfect garnish for your holiday sweets. Not only are they easy to make but they make all of your holiday fare look beautiful. You can add candied cranberries to the tops of cakes, cheesecakes, or cupcakes, place them on charcuterie trays or on a wheel of brie, use for garnish or even eat them as a snack.
This recipe could not get any easier, you simply boil sugar and water, let cool and dip your cranberries, basically it’s a simple syrup bath for your cranberries. Once they are cooled you roll them in granulated sugar and they are ready to garnish your sweet and savory treats.
1 cup of sugar divided
1/2 cup of water
2 cups of fresh cranberries
1. Add 1/2 cup of the sugar and the water to a small saucepan, place over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stir constantly to dissolve the sugar. Once the sugar is dissolved remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool for a bit.
2. Once mixture is cooled for 5 minutes place cranberries in the sugar and stir to coat. Remove the cranberries from the pan and set on a cookie cooling rack set over a pan to catch the drips.
3. Let the cranberries dry for one hour.
4. Place the remaining sugar in a shallow bowl then add some of the cranberries.
5. Toss cranberries in the sugar to coat, remove and set on a rack to dry. Store cranberries in the refrigerator until ready to use.
You can use your cranberries to garnish your holiday desserts, like this Eggnog Cheesecake
Or simply place them in a bowl to add to your granola, or so snack on.
What are you making or baking at your house? Are you making any food gifts for your family and friends? I love hearing about new recipes so please share any that you have been making and that you enjoy.
Have a great day!