Good morning friends, did you have a nice Christmas? Ours was, quiet, fun, lots of laughs, and of course food. We thought about scaling back because we are alone, but that is just not the way we live so everything we were going to make or eat if we had guests we made and enjoyed. Christmas ever we made a French onion soup rolled pork loin, with sides of wild rice, roasted Brussels sprouts and rolls and on Christmas day I made a cauliflower gratin, homemade yeast rolls, ham and a green salad.
I was thinking this morning about my favorite things about Christmas, not just this year but every year so I thought I would share them and I hope that you will share your favorites as well.
1. Christmas Eve, the magic and the anticipation of what’s to come and of course what Christmas is all about, the birth of Christ.
2. Baking, christmas cookies and candy. I love the scent of the cookies wafting through the house and I love seeing my grandmothers handwriting on the recipes.
3. Christmas lights on my trees, in the neighborhood. There is so much magic and happiness in those little sparkly lights.
4. Christmas carols, they bring back so many memories of sing alongs at family gatherings, or at midnight mass.
5. Decorating the tree and seeing all of the ornaments that we have collected over the years on our travels or some of the same ornaments that hung on our trees as children.
6. Christmas books and stories. Twas the Night Before Christmas is a classic and cannot but get you in the mood for Santas’ visit.
7. Snow, although we were not lucky enough to have a white Christmas it is one of my favorite things about the holidays.
8. Finding the “perfect” gift for my loved ones.
9. Midnight mass, I watched it at home this year but it was no less beautiful or meaningful.
10. The excitement of kids at Christmas. My grandkids did not sleep a wink awaiting the arrival of Santa. And my niece awoke at 4 am to sort the Christmas gifts from Santa so that the family would have a pile waiting for them when they awoke. Although things were different this year and we were not there in person we were able to watch on Zoom as they opened their gifts and their smiles and happiness made it all worth wile.
I hope that you enjoy a wonderful weekend.