This post contains affiliate links.
Good morning friends! How are you? Are you running into the new year or are you walking into it like me? I won’t lie, I am feeling a little sluggish as I always do after I have a “vacation.”
The internet has been bursting this week with resolutions, did you make any? I am not a person that makes resolutions, in the past I did because everyone else I knew was, but in my heart I knew I was just being a lemming. As I have aged I realize that resolutions do not work for me, instead I try to stay healthy and active all year long. Today I am sharing a few of my favorite tips for getting and staying healthy.
1. Hydration: Drinking enough water and fluids a day is crucial to your health, it keeps your joints lubricated, your organs functioning properly, helps with sleep, mood and overall well being. Women should be drinking 11 glasses of water a day and men 16. The good news is that you don’t have to drink just plain water, you can drink coffee, tea, or fruit and vegetable infused waters like lemon, limes, raspberries of cucumbers. By the way, one cup of water with the juice of one lemon is a daily dose of vitamin C. I also like to drink electrolytes because I do an hour every morning of hot yoga, this is my favorite brand.
2. Everything in moderation, and by this I am not just referring to food. Don’t deprive yourself of food because you will only want it more. If you like chocolate have a piece, if you like wine, drink a glass. If you like scrolling thru Instagram go ahead, but try not to waste hours scrolling thru the little squares of other people lives, get out and enjoy yours as well. I like my chocolate hot and have a cup every morning, I also love cocktails and champagne and have one on Fridays when I eat my favorite meal ever, pizza!
3. Take care of your relationships, social relations are very important for your physical and mental health.
4. Exercise: Include some cardio for your heart health and weight bearing exercise for your muscles and bones. If your gym is closed you can walk outside or do an online video, or for weights you could try resistance bands.
5. Practice gratitude. You could keep a gratitude journal or just take 5 minutes a day to reflect of 3 things you are grateful for.
6. Let nature nurture you by getting outside for a walk, reading on your patio or porch, puttering in your garden whatever you like. Not only will you get some fresh air and vitamin D but a daily dose of nature is good for your mental, physical and emotional health. Especially if you unplug from technology while doing it.
7. “Give yourself a break, YOU ARE ENOUGH, just the way you are.” I read this quote by Karen Karbo in Real Simple Magazine and it resonated with me because Karen mentioned that women are ALWAYS trying to make themselves better ! The fact is, you do not have to find ways to make yourself better because more often than not, you are just fine the way you are. The point is, don’t stress yourself taking on too many things to IMPROVE you!
8. Make Sunday your day of rest. Give yourself the day off and rest, relax and regroup. Turn off the phone, take the day off social media and use the day to enjoy something you love, maybe it is cooking or baking or loosing yourself in a book or that pile of magazines that you keep saying you are going to read. Or it could be taking an online class or maybe doing your meal prep for the week.
9. Sleep: Get enough sleep! Poor sleepers or people that do not get enough sleep have a higher risk for hear disease and stroke. Poor sleep is linked to obesity, depression, inflammation and more. In short, you need your sleep and if you are having problems sleeping talk to your doctor.
10. Your mental health is as important as your physical health and in fact can greatly impact your physical health. If you are stressed or anxious reach out to a friend or a therapist, you can even find a therapist online.
That is it my friends, my 10 tips for staying healthy not only this year for years to come. Do you have any healthy tips to share, is so please leave them in the comments.
Have a great day.