It is important to stay hydrated, here are 5 simple and easy ways to drink more water.
Good morning friends! As I mentioned a few days ago, my husband has been sick, we are not sure if it is Covid but he does seem to have all of the symptoms. I am doing my best to take care of him and get him on the road to recovery. After speaking with the doctor, keeping him hydrated has been at the top of my list, that however has been a challenge because his throat is so sore it is hard for him to swallow. Water with honey and lemon lemon, herbal teas and soups have been on constant rotation.
All of this got me thinking about water and hydration in general. Did you know that dehydration can cause fatigue, memory loss, irritability, anxiety, and kidney stones? Water is essential for our bodies to function, it is that simple.
Ways That Water Works in Your Body
According to the May Clinic drinking water and staying hydrated:
- Regulates body temperature
- Moistens tissues in the eyes, nose and mouth
- Protects body organs and tissues
- Carries nutrients and oxygen to cells
- Lubricates joints
- Lessens burden the on kidneys and liver by flushing out waste products
- Helps dissolve minerals and nutrients to make them accessible to your body
5 Tips to Help You Drink More Water
There are many things that determine how much water you should drink a day, including how active you are, your diet, your job(if you work outside), your health, etc. But the recommend minimum daily intake for women is 92 oz(11.5 Cups). and for men it is 124 oz(15.5 cups). I was actually surprised by these numbers because I was always told we need to drink 8 glasses of water a day.
These are my tried and true tips for getting the recommended daily amount of water a day.
Start & End the Day With Water
1.Start and end the day with a glass of water. After sleeping 8 hours your body is thirsty, so make sure the first thing that you drink is a glass of water. Place a glass of water next to the bed or by the sink so that when you brush your teeth you have a glass(before your morning coffee). Do the same thing before you go to bed, brush your teeth, and drink a glass of water, it will not only hydrate you but help to keep you from waking up with bad breath or a dry mouth.
Drink a Glass Every time You Wash Your Hands
2. Drink a glass after every trip to the bathroom: Place a glass in every bathroom in your house so that every time you get up to use the bathroom you remember to take a drink after your wash and dry your hands.
Eat Water Rich Foods
3. Drinking water is important but you can also consume water rich foods, which are exactly what you think they are, fruits and vegetables that contain a lot of water, to get your daily intake Examples are, watermelon, strawberries, cantaloup, peaches, oranges, skim milk, cucumber, lettuces, and celery but also chicken, yogurt, cottage cheese, pasta, and shrimp.
Flavor Your Water
4. Add flavor to your water with fruits, vegetables and herbs. One of my favorite combinations is cucumber and mint which is not only tasty but refreshing on hot days. I also like to start a cold winter morning with a cup of hot water with lemon. There are endless combinations of fruits and vegetables and you could also make fruit and herb ice cubes to keep on hand for water and for cocktails. In addition to fruits and vegetables I like to use electrolytes as well.
Take it With You Everywhere You Go
5. Keep a full water bottle in your car, on your desk, in your bag, with your yoga mat or gym bag, next to your bed, on your Peleton. This will encourage you to take a drink every time you see a bottle.
How many glasses of water do you drink in a day? Do you think you get enough water? What are your “tried and true tips” to make sure that you hydrate daily?
My friend Elizabeth of Vintage Contessa recommended the book Water which she read years ago and Quench which was released last year also has great tips and ratings if you are looking for more ways to drink more water and learn more about its benefits.
Have a great day friends, I hope that you have a fabulous day, don’t forget to drink your water! Thank you for stopping by and spending part of your day with me.
Don’t forget you can also find Pinecones and Acorns on most social media sites, Facebook Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. Or you can subscribe to the blog and get the posts in your mailbox.
If you enjoyed this post you might enjoy this one too!
Pin Me for Later
NOTE: This post contains affiliate links, I am an Amazon Influencer and Associate and may earn a small commission if your clink a link contained in this post.