DIY Decorative Matchboxes are beautiful, unique and easy to make. Pair them with a candle and you’ll have a perfect holiday gift.
Some gifts are big. Other are small. But the ones that come from the heart are the best gifts of all.
Good morning friends. You all know that I love to bake, but I also like to try my hand at crafts once in awhile as long at they are not too complicated. Today I am sharing a super easy craft, decorative matchboxes. These bespoke matchboxes are a wonderful and creative way to add a personal touch to your gifts and to save a little money in the process.
Yes, I know that you can buy them, but why would you buy something that you can make? And besides, these matchboxes are personalized with different themes like chocolate, travel, fall, vintage letters and more. The creative possibilities are endless.
Another great thing about making your own match boxes, is that you can use whatever you have laying around the house. Recycle wallpaper, magazines, wrapping paper, packaging, and of course craft paper.
How to Make Decorative Matchboxes
1. Matches, I purchased these at my local grocery store but you can buy them online.
3. Paper, wrapping paper, craft paper,
1. Select your paper and lay it on the cutting surface(I use a self healing cutting mat but you can use cardboard or some other hard surface as well) measure the matchbox, I like to set the matchbox on the paper, then butt the ruler up next to it to use as a straight edge. At this point you can either mark the size to cut with the scissors or you can use the rotary cutter to cut the paper.
2. Once the paper is cut to size, put glue, or Mod Podge on the blank side of the paper and set aside. Put glue on the matchbox as well, add the paper and press down to seal. Be gentle so you don’t squish the matchbox.
Do the same to the other side of the paper and the matchbox. Alternately, you can cut one large piece and wrap it around the box.
At this point your are finished, but if you want to make the matchboxes a little more fancy you can also add paper to the sides of the sliding box which will cover the UPC code on the matches, but it is really not necessary.
Gift Ideas for DIY Decorative Matchboxes
* Tie two or three boxes with twine or ribbon and add them to a seasonal candle and voila you have the wonderful and personalized hostess gift.
*Make a bunch of matchboxes and use them at your holiday parties or leave them in a bowl for people to take home.
*Add them to gift baskets.
Put away the Zippo lighter, and add a little personality, whimsy or sophistication to your matchboxes instead. They are the perfect way to “elevate the everyday”.
Pin Me for Later
I hope this easy craft for DIY matchbooks inspires you to make a few of your own to add to your gift baskets or to add a personal touch to your own matches.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the blog to to get all of my recipes, musings and favorite posts sent to your inbox! I hope you’ll also join me for daily updates and the occasional appearance of my three dachshunds on Facebook//Instagram//Pinterest
This post contains affiliate links.