DIY Decorative Matchboxes are beautiful, unique and easy to make. Pair them with a candle and you’ll have a perfect holiday gift.
Some gifts are big. Other are small. But the ones that come from the heart are the best gifts of all.
Good morning friends. You all know that I love to bake, but I also like to try my hand at crafts once in awhile as long at they are not too complicated. Today I am sharing a super easy craft, decorative matchboxes. These bespoke matchboxes are a wonderful and creative way to add a personal touch to your gifts and to save a little money in the process.
Yes, I know that you can buy them, but why would you buy something that you can make? And besides, these matchboxes are personalized with different themes like chocolate, travel, fall, vintage letters and more. The creative possibilities are endless.
Another great thing about making your own match boxes, is that you can use whatever you have laying around the house. Recycle wallpaper, magazines, wrapping paper, packaging, and of course craft paper.
How to Make Decorative Matchboxes
1. Matches, I purchased these at my local grocery store but you can buy them online.
2. Scissors or rotary cutter
3. Paper, wrapping paper, craft paper,
4. Elmer’s Glue, Mod Podge or a glue stick
1. Select your paper and lay it on the cutting surface(I use a self healing cutting mat but you can use cardboard or some other hard surface as well) measure the matchbox, I like to set the matchbox on the paper, then butt the ruler up next to it to use as a straight edge. At this point you can either mark the size to cut with the scissors or you can use the rotary cutter to cut the paper.
2. Once the paper is cut to size, put glue, or Mod Podge on the blank side of the paper and set aside. Put glue on the matchbox as well, add the paper and press down to seal. Be gentle so you don’t squish the matchbox.
Do the same to the other side of the paper and the matchbox. Alternately, you can cut one large piece and wrap it around the box.
At this point your are finished, but if you want to make the matchboxes a little more fancy you can also add paper to the sides of the sliding box which will cover the UPC code on the matches, but it is really not necessary.
Gift Ideas for DIY Decorative Matchboxes
* Tie two or three boxes with twine or ribbon and add them to a seasonal candle and voila you have the wonderful and personalized hostess gift.
*Make a bunch of matchboxes and use them at your holiday parties or leave them in a bowl for people to take home.
*Add them to gift baskets.
Put away the Zippo lighter, and add a little personality, whimsy or sophistication to your matchboxes instead. They are the perfect way to “elevate the everyday”.
Pin Me for Later
I hope this easy craft for DIY matchbooks inspires you to make a few of your own to add to your gift baskets or to add a personal touch to your own matches.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the blog to to get all of my recipes, musings and favorite posts sent to your inbox! I hope you’ll also join me for daily updates and the occasional appearance of my three dachshunds on Facebook//Instagram//Pinterest
This post contains affiliate links.
Brenda Pruitt says
What a cute, easy and cheap craft project! I may just do this one.
Doodle T says
Love the step by step…you make it look so simple to do.
What a great idea. I've never seen anything like this and I would never have thought of it. If you're giving a candle as a gift, a beautiful matchbox makes sense to go with it. Love it! Thanks so much for sharing.
Faith and Farmhouse says
These are all so cute! I think it's really fun to do something so tiny!
Faith and Farmhouse says
This is so cute! I think it's such a fun concept to make something so little.
What a fun craft that would make a great gift.
Nice add to a candle gift to personalize it
A Romantic Porch says
Oh my goodness. These are such adorable ideas. I had never thought to do that. It is such a great paring with a candle for a gift. (my new blog address is rachel easley going. com)
these are so cute!
Oh my goodness! How cute those are!
This is such a great idea! I love gifting candles yet it can seem a bit "last minute grab-a-gift" but NOT if one of these cute little personalized match boxes are included. Great idea! Will definitely use it this year!
Those are so adorable! I love the idea of gifting them with a candle! My head is also spinning with other tiny things I could put inside the box. So cute.
Thank you, I love them!
Such a fun idea.
Thank you Renae! Hope you are having a wonderful week!
Leslie Watkins says
What a cute addition to candles!
Thank you Leslie!
William Kendall says
Thank you William.